(Customer Information Control System) A TP monitor from IBM that was originally developed to provide transaction processing for IBM mainframes. It controls the interaction between applications and users and lets programmers develop screen displays without detailed knowledge of the terminals used. It provides terminal routing, password security, transaction logging for error recovery and activity journals for performance analysis. CICS is a transaction processing system that can handle both small and large numbers of transactions, although it is designed mainly for huge numbers. The top transaction number so far recorded is in the several thousands per second. The functionality extends from traditional mainframes to online batch activity as well. CICS has also been made available on non-mainframe platforms including the RS/6000, AS/400 and OS/2-based PCs.CICS commands are written along with and into the source code of the applications, typically COBOL, although assembly language, PL/I and RPG are also used. CICS implements SNA layers 4, 5 and 6.
CICS Interviews are getting tough these days as the technology grows faster. To get through the CICS interview one needs to update him/herself in a regular manner. Having said that, just before the interview, it is very important to have a quick glance of the reputed CICS questions and answers to make yourself comfortable during the interview process. This is where DoAnswers.com helps you in renewing yourself on CICS and various other technologies interview preparation.
1. 'CICS' system services provides an interface between CICS and the operating system and carries out the functions like loading and releasing of application programs, acquiring and freeing of storage , task scheduling, etc (True or False).
2. A CICS program ABENDS with an ASRA ABEND code. What is its meaning?
A) A link was issued to a program whose name does not exist in the PPT (Program Processing Table).
B) A program attempted to use a map that is not defined in the PCT (Program Control Table).
C) A security violation has occurred. The operator is not defined with the proper authority in the SNT (Sign- on Table) to use a particular file
D) A program interrupt (0C0 or 0C1 or 0C2 or ...) has occurred in a CICS program.
E) An I/O error has occurred when attempting to use a VSAM file from a CICS program A program interrupt (0C0 or 0C1 or 0C2 or ...) has occurred in a CICS program.
3. A HANDLE CONDITION remains active until the end of the program or until another HANDLE CONDITION command (True or False).
4. A mapset consists of three maps and 10 fields on each map . How many of the following will be needed ?
a) DFHMSD statements 1
b) DFHMDI statements 3
c) DFHMDF statements 30
5. A note on CICS DB2 attachment facility
The CICS DB2 attachment facility provides the following major functions: Application program interface A CICS attachment facility is provided with CICS that allows you to operate DB2 with CICS.... read more
6. An XCTL uses more CPU time than LINK (True or False)
7. Are sequential files supported by CICS?
Yes, but not as part of the File Control Program. They are supported as extra partition transient data files.
8. Before issuing an ASKTIME command what will be the values in the EIBDATE and EIBTIME fields if the EIB?
The date and time at the task initiation
9. Before you can use a Temporary Storage Queue you must first define the Queue name in the CICS Temporary Queue Table)( True or False).
10. By which CICS defined field can you determine the position of the cursor on the map ?